“I’m not technical.”
Did I mention that I am a complete geek?
- drawing in pencil, pen and ink.
- printmaking, with unexpected materials and techniques. I have pioneered alcohol ink printmaking and combining digital media with this art form.
- painting with paints of every variety, whether they are based in acylics, watercolors and oil pigment sticks as well as encaustics. I am a magpie of materials.
- textural works, by modification of viscosity and surface through the use of gels, pastes and mediums.
- Copic Marker / Too Corporation: http://www.us.too.com/
- Daniel Smith Watercolors: http://www.danielsmith.com/
- Golden Artist Colors: https://www.goldenpaints.com/gaep/SallyLynn.MacDonald/3005
- R&F Oil Pigment Sticks and Encaustics: https://www.rfpaints.com/
- Royal Talens / North America: https://www.royaltalensnorthamerica.com/
- Silver Brush Ltd: https://www.silverbrush.com/sally-lynn-macdonald.html
Inspiration and reference.
- I draw immense inspiration from the detailed studies of legendary draftsmen like Michelangelo and the technical works of Leonardo da Vinci.
- The watercolor works by John Sargent and his use of color in light and shadow inform my paintings.
- I employ distorted perspective of contemporary painters, such as Michalopoulos, whose work I first saw in New Orleans, as well as curvilinear perspective by urban sketcher, lapin, of Barcelona.
- Printmaking – I often refer to the image resist techniques pioneered by Birgit Koopsen, but with oil-based media and alcohol inks rather than acrylics. While our techniques are completely different, I am inspired by the detailed works of pioneering printmaker Betye Saar.
“I am not an artist.”